What to buy for Christmas?
Each year millions of people are facing the same question: What to buy for Christmas?
Many people pay a small fortune for a gift, sometimes after they have spent hours in the shops to buy what they think is a perfect gift. After all this thought and effort the receiver may be unable to totally hide the look of disappointment when they unwrap their beautifully wrapped gift with so much excitement and then it turns out to be something that they do not like or want.
An unwanted gift can be very awkward for both the giver and the receiver and may even spoil the whole occasion.
We all know the saying
“It is the thought that counts” but would you not rather receive a gift you really want?
Avoiding the unwanted gift incident is the best solution!
Here is a guide to help you get the gift you want and if you share the guide with others it will make your shopping not only for Christmas gifts, but also for birthday gifts, valentines gifts anniversary presents and other occasions much easier.
Define What You See as a Gift
I remember a birthday when not long after my husband and I bought our first home a relative of ours gave me a household appliance as a birthday gift. I know the person meant well and to be honest it was something we could use but it was my birthday, money was scarce so it would have been nice to have received a gift that was just for me. Something that I would not have bought for myself at the time.
Not long after that, I made sure that everybody knew what I saw as a gift. My perfect gift would be something just for me, something that I am interested in or has something to do with my hobbies. Something that is a treat that I would not normally buy. Or something I can pamper myself with. It does not have to be big and it does not have to be expensive but it has to be just for me!
Draw up a Wish List
- Make a list, keep a scrapbook, or have a space on the web for the things you would like as a gift.
- Remember to be specific. If you want a nice hand lotion, put the brand name and the price and for what type of skin it should be. If you do woodcarving for a hobby and you want a new tool, add the brand name, shop or website where it is stocked and the price. Anything the person needs to know to get you the correct gift. Pictures are good too.
- Your wish list should have items over a wide price range from a 0.99-cent song on iTunes to your favorite sports car or diamond ring. One can dream, you never know who may look at your list!
- Keep you wish list up to date. Circumstances, tastes and hobbies change with time so keep you list up to date to reflect your current preferences.
You Gotta Wish Big to Get Big!
Your Favourite Things
Some people will still prefer to not give you something from your list. It may be that you do not have something in their gift price range, they may not feel comfortable with the idea of a wish list or they would like their gift to be a reflection of them, as in the case of handmade presents.
Sometimes we know somebody for a long time, you may like them and enjoy talking to them, somebody like a work colleague but when it comes to buying a gift you just do not have any ideas. To help people to know what to buy for you they need to know what you like. So make a profile of you!
Creating Your Profile
Here are some of the items you may want to put on your profile.
- Your definition of a gift.
- Your favorite things. Include as many things as you like for example: color, flowers, fruit, music, movie and literature genres, food, type of chocolates, musical instrument.
- What are your favorite drinks?
- What hobbies do you have?
- Do you like handmade gifts or not?
- Do you like gold or silver jewelry?
- Do you like plain of printed materials?
- Are you more a bath or more a shower person?
- What is your star sign?
- Are your currently saving for something specific?If you life in a tiny apartment and do not have space for huge gifts, write it down?
Share Your Wish list
Once you have made your wish list and/ or scrapbook and created a profile you have to share it with others. Keep it in a visible spot where your partner, children, and other people can have access to it. If it is a nice scrapbook, keep in the living area, on the coffee table or bedside table, where you watch TV or have refreshments. Talk about the new item (handbag, bracelet, belt, tool, fishing rod) you have seen on your shopping trip and added to your wish list.
Encourage your children to make scrapbooks and wish lists too. It will help you to keep up to date with their latest favourite things and can be a great way to connect.
A few weeks before Christmas have a get together with the people you will be buying gifts for and tell them to make a wish list or scrap book to bring. Enjoy an evening sharing a meal or snacks, sharing dreams, interests and gift ideas.
When is Money a Good Gift?
In certain circumstances money can be the most appropriate gift. You may have defined what you see as a gift before but there may be a time when money is the only gift that you really want.
You are planning a big trip and you have bought your ticket and everything else you need. You are now just saving for more spending money so the only present you really want is money!
You are planning to move house soon and have decided that you are only taking one suitcase of belongings with you to start fresh at your new destination. The last thing you need is another item you have to sell or give away!
You may be teaching your child how to save. The first present can be a piggy bank. Let friends and relatives know money are welcome as a gift and why.
If you have plans like these talk about them. This way your will be happy to receive money and they will not feel they have taken the easy way out with money as a gift.
Amazon Gift Cards
This is the perfect solution if you need to buy gifts on a regular basis for employees, work colleagues or acquaintances. Chances are pretty good that just about everyone can find something they like to have at the Amazon store!
Why This Topic?
I think gift giving is one of the most sincere acts one can do to show that you care about someone else. If you do give a gift because you care for a person, you would want your gift to make them feel happy. If you are the receiver of the gift and you care about the giver of the gift, you would want that person to feel good about the fact they gave you something you truly want. The only way one can accomplish happiness on both sides is through making our wants known.
What was the worst gift you have ever received? What was the best gift you have ever received?